Friday, February 25, 2011

Graham Crackers

As good as the boxed version of graham crackers, with the same sweet honey taste but a little chewy in the middle with so much more flavor! The perfect snack!


  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (blend in food processor until powdery)
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 T. wheat germ
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 T. milk
  • 1 T. honey
  • 1 T. molasses
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. maple flavoring

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Heat oil, honey and water until melted. Pour honey mixture into dry ingredients and mix until dough can be formed into a ball (dough will be closer to the consistency of very dry cookie dough). Chill for at least 30 minutes. Press out dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet (or on Parchment paper and then place on a cookie sheet) and roll out to about 1/4” thick or less. Cut into rectangles with a pizza cutter and prick with a fork. Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.

4 comments:

Naomi Ungry said...

I have GOT to try these tomorrow when I bake!!! They look so-o-o good! MM!

Naomi Ungry said...

WOW. Mm! I'm eating a graham cracker this very moment -- it is absolutely phenomenal! Thanks so much for the recipe. However, they turned out quite crumbly. Do you use butter or oil? I used butter. Maybe that's it? Any ideas? Anyway, they taste GREAT. =D

Hannah said...

I used olive oil, because I didn't have butter, although I thought they might taste even better with butter. If that's the case, I guess I'll just change the recipe to oil, since it apparently worked better. Mine were more crumbly than a store-bought graham cracker, but they weren't that bad.

Naomi Ungry said...

Thanks! I thought the butter gave them a really good flavor... maybe a little more milk? I'll try the oil next time.

I think with the two of us putting our proverbial heads together we should figure out what works best. =D